Senior Category Buyer
Porterbrook Leasing Company specialises in the leasing of all types of railway rolling stock and associated equipment. Based in Derby with a corporate Head Office in London, the organisation is undertaking a period of transformational change as it responds to the changing landscape in rail.
Responsible for supporting Category Managers in the sourcing of components and services to support the category strategies underpinning the procurement requirements of the business.
You will ensure that the best value for money is obtained, while adhering to the highest level of quality and supplier performance. Acting as the interface between the engineering/project management function and rest of the team you will ensure that all service levels are achieved, and issues escalated in a timely manner.
In addition, you will develop an understanding of synergies that may exist across the different categories, fleets and projects throughout the business to ensure all procurements are achieving optimum efficiency.
- Implement agreed category strategies for the procurement on key sub systems. These must be in line with the overall procurement strategy and will be delivered to provide the best value and quality for the business, ensuring that it remains in line with customers’ requirements and with an eye on future innovations
- Be seen as the Procurement subject matter experts on their sub-systems, and the benefits they can deliver to the customer and end users
- Manage the end to end procurement process for sub-systems, from RFP through to end supplier management, including:
- Identify opportunities for new services through the use of innovative products to customers
- Where appropriate, tracking supplier performance against the contractual service level agreements, ensuring feedback from other functions is received and acted upon. Escalate any issues in a timely manner, both externally to the supplier and internally within the commercial function
- Support the overall drive for cost efficiencies across the procurement function
- Support the development of procurement processes and systems
- Support the delivery of quality accreditations, including the ISO 20400 in sustainable procurement
- Work as part of the procurement function, supporting the development of the overall strategy and annual business plan
- Actively participate in the annual supplier events and engage in a programme to manage the relationships with all suppliers on a regular basis. This will be supported by the managing of KPIs across the supply base
- Support other functions (Finance/Commercial/Fleet) in the internal planning and budgeting for WLMP/FQP
- Support the commercial and innovation processes with knowledge of sub-systems, how they are developing and the costs for implementation
- Support the project managers and other functions during the operational phase of a contract/project and be seen as the point of escalation for commercial issues with the supply base
Skills / Experience
- Excellent technical knowledge and awareness of key railway sub-systems
- Knowledge of the latest digital and electronic systems and the future opportunities offered in these areas for rail is desirable
- Knowledge of railway industry rolling stock and components is essential
- Experience of taking full accountability for the end to end procurement processes, with a track record in achieving quality results
- An ambitious and driven individual, with a track record in procurement. Experience of Oracle systems would be desirable
- Minimum of 5 years of procurement experience as a Senior Buyer, gained within an engineering environment
- Legal or commercial experience would be advantageous
- Track record of working to and exceeding KPIs
- Knowledge of Oracle-based systems
- Commercially astute with excellent understanding of contracting
- Well organised and experienced in working under pressure
- Experience of e-procurement systems (desirable)
- Numerate with strong analytical skills
- Microsoft Excel skills at intermediate level
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We are seeking the very best talent to join the team, and offer an excellent salary, along with bonus and benefits. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a great organisation with excellent people and a road map for the future to grow and develop the business.
To apply please send your CV and a covering email with full details of why you would be a great addition to the Porterbrook team, along with details of your current salary and notice period to Nicola.firstname.lastname@example.org
Porterbrook is a Disability Confident and a Living Wage accredited employer.